Has this ever happened to you - you're surfing Craigslist and find this GREAT DEAL you have been looking for. It almost seems to good to be true, but there it is, just waiting for you to respond. But how do you know it's safe? Here are 5 helpful ways to avoid getting scammed on Craiglist that can save you a lot of grief and money!
1. Check the URL to be sure you’re not on a bogus look-alike site. The Craigslist URL is http://www.craigslist.org. The Craigslist site also offers helpful information on how to spot and avoid scams.
2. Deal locally so you can finalize a sale in person.
3. Examine the product in person before finalizing a sale. Never rely solely on pictures when buying something on Craigslist or a similar site.
4. Don’t send a money order or wire transfer as payment for an item. The same goes for prepaid cards. If you do, you’ll have no way of recouping your loss if the sale goes south.
5. Don’t share your personal information. If a contact is asking too many questions, back out of the deal.
It's always better to be safe than sorry. By following these helpful tips you can avoid being taken advantage of and get the deals you truly want. Happy shopping!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.